Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The presents of God.

Sunday, our pastor spoke about family. And what family means during Christmas.
He spoke of how psychologists say that the single most important thing that family gives us is a sense of belonging. And how that seemingly simple emotion is so important to us as human beings, that children who don't feel a sense of belonging at a very early age, may never develop a healthy self-esteem or emotional well-being.
And he shared with us something that he told his children when they were growing up. And I loved the message of it so much, that I wanted to share it with you:

I do not love you because you are smart. Though, you are very smart.
I do not love you because you are beautiful. Though, to me, you are very beautiful.
I do not love you because you are good. Though, you are very good.

I love you because you are mine.
And because you will always be mine.

Can't you hear God saying that to all of us?

And if you, like me, you were not lucky enough to have that sense of belonging here with your earthly family, you can rejoice and rest assured that there is always someone to whom you do belong and you always will.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I love that. What a wonderful thing to say to your children and what a wonderful reminder of God's love for us.

stephanie h said...

WOW! What a touching and true sentiment. I love it.